Nearly 300,000 rollover accidents are reported yearly, resulting in more than 10,000 deaths in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Understanding why rollovers may be more likely in some situations and how you can decrease the risk may help you keep your family and loved ones safe. If you have suffered personal injuries in such an accident, your Detroit personal injury lawyer can fight on your behalf.
Detroit Personal Injury Lawyer – Understanding Why Rollovers Occur
Rollovers are directly correlated with the stability of the vehicle you are riding in. Whether the center of gravity is off because the vehicle is too high, the load heavier than normal or if weather conditions decrease the safety of the roads, rollovers can happen in the blink of an eye. Most rollover accidents occur when a vehicle swerves into a curb, pothole or other type of shoulder obstacle.
Consumer Reports published a few tips to increase preventing and surviving a rollover. Here is what the magazine suggests:
- Choosing a vehicle with the most up-to-date safety features is often your best choice because the safety features will be developed using the latest research and information. Additionally, as vehicles evolve, the quality of the features generally is improved.
- Always wear safety belts and have children properly restrained in age-appropriate child safety seats. If a rollover does occur, it will prevent you or your passengers from being thrown from the vehicle.
- It is always important to check your tires and make sure they are properly inflated. This not only helps with even wear on the tread, but control the vehicle has in dangerous conditions.
- It is crucial not to overload any vehicle, changing its center of gravity and making it unstable. Check the manufacturer’s guidelines for load limits.
- Finally, watch your speed. Approximately 40 percent of fatal rollovers occur when a vehicle is traveling at excessive speeds.
If you or your loved one has suffered serious personal injuries in any rollover accident, it is important to discuss your situation with a Detroit personal injury lawyer. Call today for your free, initial consultation.